independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 23rd Aug 2017 12:19pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Sheila E. shares her cover of America in a new interview with Rolling Stone
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 06/10/17 8:01am

purplerabbitho
le

Who cares about visually? Are people reconstructing his old sets as well? Are people recreating his dance moves while performing his music? Are Kirky J, Tony M and the other guy recreating their dance moves? T

As for the music, her vocals are here and there but there aren't a ton. If she wants to sing background vocals [or leads on a few songs] and speak the spanish sequeways between Gold Experience songs with NPG and dance during their sets, then by all means, she should have done that (if she was invited, that is.) . But that's not what she has been doing. She stated in an interview that the music (revolving around her and her involvement) was too painful for her to listen to and that she preferred listening to the stuff before her involvement with him. Her book and that statement has made it awkward now for her to perform those songs. Dancing to a song like "The One" would be a bit odd right now.

OldFriends4Sale said:

purplerabbithole said:

That Egyptian belly dancer stuff is there. Sure. I see what you mean. And maybe some of the love songs. But that is not the bulk of his work. And her involvement in love songs of his right now would be kind of awkward.

1991-1996/97 Mayte was intertwined in the Prince catalogue visually and vocally.

Just go through the period mentioned above and u will c love songs is the least of the connection

[Edited 6/10/17 8:15am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 06/10/17 8:09am

purplerabbitho
le

Penny. come on.

I barely spoke to my brother for 10 years when I moved 3 hours away. I moved back and now we are thick as thieves. People drift away or don't get a chance to reconnect. or have disputes. Playing with him 5 years ago but speaking to him within the year (but not remembering the exact date) is not the same thing as having not played with the man since 1999 and maybe having talked to the man less than half a dozen times since that time. Mayte was actively involved with Prince's life for 10 (admittedly intense) years. Sheila knew Prince since 1978. And their relationship always had its cooling off periods, but in the past, they always hooked up again. Just because he died during one of their more distant periods (after a professional disagreement), doesn't mean they wouldn't have hooked up again in some professional or personal capacity, had he not died. Going by their track record, they probably would have. Unlike Mayte (who still refers to Prince as her husband), Sheila had talked to him within the year. Prince was a loner who knew lots of people. Sheila came back into this life several times in the last 40 years. How many people can say they met Prince in 1978 and were still working with him in 2011?

PennyPurple said:

GaryMF said:

Give it up.

.

.

She was one of his best friends and closest musical collaborators. stop spreading hate because you're jealous.

The last time she was on stage with him was 2011. She didn't speak to him 8-10 months before he died. That's not a bff relationship.

.

If everybody else doesn't get a pass, then neither does Sheila & Prince's symbol.

When was the last time you played with him?
I think it was four or five years ago, during the 21 Nights [residency] at the Forum in L.A. [in 2011]. I don’t really know the last time I spoke with him, maybe within the year, maybe eight months. ~Billboard

[Edited 6/10/17 8:12am]

[Edited 6/10/17 8:18am]

[Edited 6/10/17 8:20am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 06/10/17 8:29am

GaryMF

avatar

PennyPurple said:

GaryMF said:

Give it up.

.

.

She was one of his best friends and closest musical collaborators. stop spreading hate because you're jealous.

The last time she was on stage with him was 2011. She didn't speak to him 8-10 months before he died. That's not a bff relationship.

.

If everybody else doesn't get a pass, then neither does Sheila & Prince's symbol.

When was the last time you played with him?
I think it was four or five years ago, during the 21 Nights [residency] at the Forum in L.A. [in 2011]. I don’t really know the last time I spoke with him, maybe within the year, maybe eight months. ~Billboard

Yes, because 1 year out of a nearly 40 year friendship is what matters.

.

.

And of course, YOU (someone who never spoke to either of them), is the arbiter of their friendship.

rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 06/10/17 5:55pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Blood is thicker then water.

purplerabbithole said:

Penny. come on.

I barely spoke to my brother for 10 years when I moved 3 hours away. I moved back and now we are thick as thieves. People drift away or don't get a chance to reconnect. or have disputes. Playing with him 5 years ago but speaking to him within the year (but not remembering the exact date) is not the same thing as having not played with the man since 1999 and maybe having talked to the man less than half a dozen times since that time. Mayte was actively involved with Prince's life for 10 (admittedly intense) years. Sheila knew Prince since 1978. And their relationship always had its cooling off periods, but in the past, they always hooked up again. Just because he died during one of their more distant periods (after a professional disagreement), doesn't mean they wouldn't have hooked up again in some professional or personal capacity, had he not died. Going by their track record, they probably would have. Unlike Mayte (who still refers to Prince as her husband), Sheila had talked to him within the year. Prince was a loner who knew lots of people. Sheila came back into this life several times in the last 40 years. How many people can say they met Prince in 1978 and were still working with him in 2011?

PennyPurple said:

The last time she was on stage with him was 2011. She didn't speak to him 8-10 months before he died. That's not a bff relationship.

.

If everybody else doesn't get a pass, then neither does Sheila & Prince's symbol.

When was the last time you played with him?
I think it was four or five years ago, during the 21 Nights [residency] at the Forum in L.A. [in 2011]. I don’t really know the last time I spoke with him, maybe within the year, maybe eight months. ~Billboard

[Edited 6/10/17 8:12am]

[Edited 6/10/17 8:18am]

[Edited 6/10/17 8:20am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 06/10/17 5:58pm

PennyPurple

avatar

GaryMF said:

PennyPurple said:

The last time she was on stage with him was 2011. She didn't speak to him 8-10 months before he died. That's not a bff relationship.

.

If everybody else doesn't get a pass, then neither does Sheila & Prince's symbol.

When was the last time you played with him?
I think it was four or five years ago, during the 21 Nights [residency] at the Forum in L.A. [in 2011]. I don’t really know the last time I spoke with him, maybe within the year, maybe eight months. ~Billboard

Yes, because 1 year out of a nearly 40 year friendship is what matters.

.

.

And of course, YOU (someone who never spoke to either of them), is the arbiter of their friendship.

That doesn't make it a bff relationship, like you 1st stated. Friendship yes, not BFF's. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 06/10/17 8:54pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

um who cares about visual? you mean via videos award show performances and concerts? a helluva lot of people

purplerabbithole said:

Who cares about visually? Are people reconstructing his old sets as well? Are people recreating his dance moves while performing his music? Are Kirky J, Tony M and the other guy recreating their dance moves? T

As for the music, her vocals are here and there but there aren't a ton. If she wants to sing background vocals [or leads on a few songs] and speak the spanish sequeways between Gold Experience songs with NPG and dance during their sets, then by all means, she should have done that (if she was invited, that is.) . But that's not what she has been doing. She stated in an interview that the music (revolving around her and her involvement) was too painful for her to listen to and that she preferred listening to the stuff before her involvement with him. Her book and that statement has made it awkward now for her to perform those songs. Dancing to a song like "The One" would be a bit odd right now.

OldFriends4Sale said:

1991-1996/97 Mayte was intertwined in the Prince catalogue visually and vocally.

Just go through the period mentioned above and u will c love songs is the least of the connection

[Edited 6/10/17 8:15am]

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 06/10/17 8:57pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

PennyPurple said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

But she really is not doing anything 'new' since he passed. She has always been doing this, doing the music, even when Prince was alive and she was doing shows with him. If she came out of nowhere, not having a relationship with Prince (like Tony M and a few others from the NPG) I might agree. But she is just doing what she always has and what I expect. Keeping the music and memory alive.

Was she using his symbol before he passed?

I don't think it matters. If we took a pole on how many Prince fans added tattoes of the symbol to their bodies, or personally made or bought some kind of symbol image, we would get a reasonable 'response' to why Sheila E got a symbol tat.

Lots of people have it too. I really don't see what the problem of it is personally.

181148749768c96c05b8ec7b67ab6839.jpg

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 06/10/17 8:58pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

LOVESYMBOLNUMBER2 said:

Old people making music videos... not a good look

R U Talking about Prince?

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 06/10/17 9:13pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

PennyPurple said:

GaryMF said:

Give it up.

.

.

She was one of his best friends and closest musical collaborators. stop spreading hate because you're jealous.

The last time she was on stage with him was 2011. She didn't speak to him 8-10 months before he died. That's not a bff relationship.

.

If everybody else doesn't get a pass, then neither does Sheila & Prince's symbol.

When was the last time you played with him?
I think it was four or five years ago, during the 21 Nights [residency] at the Forum in L.A. [in 2011]. I don’t really know the last time I spoke with him, maybe within the year, maybe eight months. ~Billboard

that isn't really true, especially when you are dealing with people in the entertainment industry.

When people are working on set in another country on a movie or touring it is nothing for time to go by, and not speak to people you love. That isn't an indication of a close connection. Some people need to speak all the time, because they haven't established a connection yet or because they are insecure. I have a long time friend who is now like family and months will go by without speaking and then we do and hangout and such for months and then months go by again without. But there is never any doubt that we are close.

.

Sheila just had to draw a line in the sand, didn't mean they were not still friends.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 06/12/17 5:11am

laurarichardso
n

OldFriends4Sale said:

PennyPurple said:

The last time she was on stage with him was 2011. She didn't speak to him 8-10 months before he died. That's not a bff relationship.

.

If everybody else doesn't get a pass, then neither does Sheila & Prince's symbol.

When was the last time you played with him?
I think it was four or five years ago, during the 21 Nights [residency] at the Forum in L.A. [in 2011]. I don’t really know the last time I spoke with him, maybe within the year, maybe eight months. ~Billboard

that isn't really true, especially when you are dealing with people in the entertainment industry.

When people are working on set in another country on a movie or touring it is nothing for time to go by, and not speak to people you love. That isn't an indication of a close connection. Some people need to speak all the time, because they haven't established a connection yet or because they are insecure. I have a long time friend who is now like family and months will go by without speaking and then we do and hangout and such for months and then months go by again without. But there is never any doubt that we are close.

.

Sheila just had to draw a line in the sand, didn't mean they were not still friends.

She sent her drums for Sign of the Time to him for one of the exhibits so they spoke. Even Lenny Kraiviz said they did not talk all the time but when they did they picked up were they left off.

Sheila is one of the few that left the Prince fold and returned not once but a few times and they may have had a falling out but that happens between friends all the time. I know one thing she was a damm sight closer to him than his two ex-wives.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 06/12/17 8:32am

Leopard52

OldFriends4Sale said:

PennyPurple said:

Was she using his symbol before he passed?

I don't think it matters. If we took a pole on how many Prince fans added tattoes of the symbol to their bodies, or personally made or bought some kind of symbol image, we would get a reasonable 'response' to why Sheila E got a symbol tat.

Lots of people have it too. I really don't see what the problem of it is personally.

181148749768c96c05b8ec7b67ab6839.jpg

I think Mayte got a tat of her and Prince's verson of the symbol on her wrist. The one that has a "M" on it too. Why aren't people complaing about that? I think Mayte was with Sheila when she got hers. People need to STOP COMPLAINING about every little thing these women do. Why is OK for you or me to get a tat but not Sheila?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 06/12/17 10:15am

PennyPurple

avatar

Leopard52 said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I don't think it matters. If we took a pole on how many Prince fans added tattoes of the symbol to their bodies, or personally made or bought some kind of symbol image, we would get a reasonable 'response' to why Sheila E got a symbol tat.

Lots of people have it too. I really don't see what the problem of it is personally.

181148749768c96c05b8ec7b67ab6839.jpg

I think Mayte got a tat of her and Prince's verson of the symbol on her wrist. The one that has a "M" on it too. Why aren't people complaing about that? I think Mayte was with Sheila when she got hers. People need to STOP COMPLAINING about every little thing these women do. Why is OK for you or me to get a tat but not Sheila?

I could care less about her tatt, she's using it on her drums and I believe she was selling shirts also, where's the outrage over that?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 06/12/17 10:15am

petalthecat

avatar

Leopard52 said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




PennyPurple said:



Was she using his symbol before he passed?




I don't think it matters. If we took a pole on how many Prince fans added tattoes of the symbol to their bodies, or personally made or bought some kind of symbol image, we would get a reasonable 'response' to why Sheila E got a symbol tat.



Lots of people have it too. I really don't see what the problem of it is personally.






I think Mayte got a tat of her and Prince's verson of the symbol on her wrist. The one that has a "M" on it too. Why aren't people complaing about that? I think Mayte was with Sheila when she got hers. People need to STOP COMPLAINING about every little thing these women do. Why is OK for you or me to get a tat but not Sheila?


The thing is with copyright images, people have the right to tattoo that image as its personal and not for monetary gain. The problem with Sheila arises because she has then put that symbol on merchandise as in t-shirts etc. The estate should be getting a chunk of the profit. Though I think she sold some merchandise with profits going to charity so maybe the estate was OK with that.
There's always a rainbow 🌈 , at the end of every rain ☔️
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 06/12/17 10:35am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

PennyPurple said:

Leopard52 said:

I think Mayte got a tat of her and Prince's verson of the symbol on her wrist. The one that has a "M" on it too. Why aren't people complaing about that? I think Mayte was with Sheila when she got hers. People need to STOP COMPLAINING about every little thing these women do. Why is OK for you or me to get a tat but not Sheila?

I could care less about her tatt, she's using it on her drums and I believe she was selling shirts also, where's the outrage over that?

She isn't making money off of it. And I doubt the Estate is going to bother Sheila E about it being on her percussion set. The Tshirt stuff was a long time ago. Why should people be outraged about it? Whatever was settled between Sheila and the Estate was a long time ago and over.

.

There seriously are more important things we all need to be outraged about in our own states counties towns/cities, than Sheila E having the symbol on her percussion kit.

The family is not going to bother Sheila E over it...

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 06/12/17 10:41am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Leopard52 said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I don't think it matters. If we took a pole on how many Prince fans added tattoes of the symbol to their bodies, or personally made or bought some kind of symbol image, we would get a reasonable 'response' to why Sheila E got a symbol tat.

Lots of people have it too. I really don't see what the problem of it is personally.

181148749768c96c05b8ec7b67ab6839.jpg

I think Mayte got a tat of her and Prince's verson of the symbol on her wrist. The one that has a "M" on it too. Why aren't people complaing about that? I think Mayte was with Sheila when she got hers. People need to STOP COMPLAINING about every little thing these women do. Why is OK for you or me to get a tat but not Sheila?

Right

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 06/12/17 10:45am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

laurarichardson said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

that isn't really true, especially when you are dealing with people in the entertainment industry.

When people are working on set in another country on a movie or touring it is nothing for time to go by, and not speak to people you love. That isn't an indication of a close connection. Some people need to speak all the time, because they haven't established a connection yet or because they are insecure. I have a long time friend who is now like family and months will go by without speaking and then we do and hangout and such for months and then months go by again without. But there is never any doubt that we are close.

.

Sheila just had to draw a line in the sand, didn't mean they were not still friends.

She sent her drums for Sign of the Time to him for one of the exhibits so they spoke. Even Lenny Kraiviz said they did not talk all the time but when they did they picked up were they left off.

Sheila is one of the few that left the Prince fold and returned not once but a few times and they may have had a falling out but that happens between friends all the time. I know one thing she was a damm sight closer to him than his two ex-wives.

Right

That is just how relationships go,

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 06/12/17 10:52am

laurarichardso
n

petalthecat said:

Leopard52 said:

I think Mayte got a tat of her and Prince's verson of the symbol on her wrist. The one that has a "M" on it too. Why aren't people complaing about that? I think Mayte was with Sheila when she got hers. People need to STOP COMPLAINING about every little thing these women do. Why is OK for you or me to get a tat but not Sheila?

The thing is with copyright images, people have the right to tattoo that image as its personal and not for monetary gain. The problem with Sheila arises because she has then put that symbol on merchandise as in t-shirts etc. The estate should be getting a chunk of the profit. Though I think she sold some merchandise with profits going to charity so maybe the estate was OK with that.

There is no problem because she put the butterfly over the symbol so that image is not copyrights. I wish you would worry about people that are using the copyrighted symbol and selling cheap shirts.

Oh and announced that you can download America for free not that she was going to get much money off the song since the estate owns the copyright on the song.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 06/12/17 10:57am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

laurarichardson said:

petalthecat said:

Leopard52 said: The thing is with copyright images, people have the right to tattoo that image as its personal and not for monetary gain. The problem with Sheila arises because she has then put that symbol on merchandise as in t-shirts etc. The estate should be getting a chunk of the profit. Though I think she sold some merchandise with profits going to charity so maybe the estate was OK with that.

There is no problem because she put the butterfly over the symbol so that image is not copyrights. I wish you would worry about people that are using the copyrighted symbol and selling cheap shirts.

Oh and announced that you can download America for free not that she was going to get much money off the song since the estate owns the copyright on the song.

People complained about how much she was selling that song:Boy Meets Girl (.99cents) so she just gave it away for free.

People can be so pathetic and petty.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 06/12/17 1:34pm

SoulAlive

OldFriends4Sale said:

LOVESYMBOLNUMBER2 said:

Old people making music videos... not a good look

R U Talking about Prince?

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 06/13/17 2:39am

MMJas

avatar

Genesia said:

bonatoc said:

OK, the Free exceerpt totally ruined it.
And judging by the waveforms, it's a little loopy.
But I dig the gesture.

She's an artist and she's got bills to pay.


And she's still looking to Prince to pay them, apparently.

lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 06/13/17 8:27am

purplerabbitho
le

I know very little about Sheila. But if she did indeed give it away foor free about the accusation, then good for her.

Didn't she also do some Prince tributes in which the proceeds went to Prince charities?

ldFriends4Sale said:

laurarichardson said:

There is no problem because she put the butterfly over the symbol so that image is not copyrights. I wish you would worry about people that are using the copyrighted symbol and selling cheap shirts.

Oh and announced that you can download America for free not that she was going to get much money off the song since the estate owns the copyright on the song.

People complained about how much she was selling that song:Boy Meets Girl (.99cents) so she just gave it away for free.

People can be so pathetic and petty.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 06/13/17 8:37am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

She does a LOT of charity shows and yes she did do a few where proceeds with to Prince's charities

purplerabbithole said:

I know very little about Sheila. But if she did indeed give it away foor free about the accusation, then good for her.

Didn't she also do some Prince tributes in which the proceeds went to Prince charities?

ldFriends4Sale said:

People complained about how much she was selling that song:Boy Meets Girl (.99cents) so she just gave it away for free.

People can be so pathetic and petty.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 06/20/17 5:14pm

purpletbird

How did Sheila have rights to record this song?
Estate, Wb, paisley park?
Don't u have to have permission?
Life is death without adventure
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 06/20/17 5:27pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

naaa fans were just being bitches. .99cents and people are bitching about that

I wonder did people bitch about Jill Jones .99 cent for her song

purplerabbithole said:

I know very little about Sheila. But if she did indeed give it away foor free about the accusation, then good for her.

Didn't she also do some Prince tributes in which the proceeds went to Prince charities?

ldFriends4Sale said:

People complained about how much she was selling that song:Boy Meets Girl (.99cents) so she just gave it away for free.

People can be so pathetic and petty.

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 06/20/17 6:09pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

purpletbird said:

How did Sheila have rights to record this song? Estate, Wb, paisley park? Don't u have to have permission?


Nope. Just have to pay.

Bass U Shoulda Played
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 06/20/17 6:53pm

purpletbird

djThunderfunk said:



purpletbird said:


How did Sheila have rights to record this song? Estate, Wb, paisley park? Don't u have to have permission?


Nope. Just have to pay.




Thank u
Life is death without adventure
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 06/25/17 8:28am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

Absolutely love it.

Thank you Sheila..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 06/25/17 5:53pm

paisleypearl

Visually I found the head movements strange. She asked the Revolution to go out with her and back her on this song! Back her? I don't think so.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Sheila E. shares her cover of America in a new interview with Rolling Stone