independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 19th Aug 2017 3:23pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Conference: Purple Reign - Salford, UK May 24th-26th
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 05/30/17 8:59am

PurpleTrollste
r

avatar

purplerabbithole said:

Apparently, one of the conference discussions was about whether Prince was a misogynist or a feminist. And the speaker contended that he was too complicated to be either. I agree for the most point except of the use of the word misogynist (that word is thrown around too loosely. Even Prince at his most sexist was never a woman hater.)




Yes, Prince was misogynistic. He was also quite the anti-Semite. Does no one remember my post last year about Rainbow Children?
Huh?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 05/30/17 9:02am

laytonian

purplethunder3121 said:



rlittler81 said:




purplerabbithole said:


rlittler81 said: JW/Bria Valente situation?

That she ended the relationship as Prince wasn't as commited to JW as much as she was.



eek


.
That's no surprise.
The new convert is always more gung-ho than the person whose thoughts have settled.
(I live around lots of Mormons, and that's another "new religion" that heavily recruits.)
I've watched people convert for years, and avoided them until they settled down or found out what they got into and ran away from it. LOL
JW was P's last baptized religion so they claimed him at the end.
But even Larry Graham wasn't around to help him in 4/16.
.
We had fun, didn't we?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 05/30/17 9:24am

Militant

avatar

moderator

PurpleTrollster said:

purplerabbithole said:

Apparently, one of the conference discussions was about whether Prince was a misogynist or a feminist. And the speaker contended that he was too complicated to be either. I agree for the most point except of the use of the word misogynist (that word is thrown around too loosely. Even Prince at his most sexist was never a woman hater.)

Yes, Prince was misogynistic. He was also quite the anti-Semite. Does no one remember my post last year about Rainbow Children?

I brought this up at the conference, actually, at the panel that dealt with Prince being influential in the LGBTQ community, etc.

Natalie Clifford, who did a talk on using Prince to impact values of young millennial man who show signs of homophobia, had a good reply...... She said this. lol



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 05/30/17 11:45am

laurarichardso
n

PurpleTrollster said:

purplerabbithole said:

Apparently, one of the conference discussions was about whether Prince was a misogynist or a feminist. And the speaker contended that he was too complicated to be either. I agree for the most point except of the use of the word misogynist (that word is thrown around too loosely. Even Prince at his most sexist was never a woman hater.)

Yes, Prince was misogynistic. He was also quite the anti-Semite. Does no one remember my post last year about Rainbow Children?

Give us an example of his women hating?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 05/30/17 11:47am

laurarichardso
n

laytonian said:

purplethunder3121 said:

eek

. That's no surprise. The new convert is always more gung-ho than the person whose thoughts have settled. (I live around lots of Mormons, and that's another "new religion" that heavily recruits.) I've watched people convert for years, and avoided them until they settled down or found out what they got into and ran away from it. LOL JW was P's last baptized religion so they claimed him at the end. But even Larry Graham wasn't around to help him in 4/16. .

What would you have Larry do? Did Larry have a background in addiction/pain management?

He was seeing a doctor and meeting with an addiction staff member. What would have been Larry's role?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 05/30/17 11:58am

laurarichardso
n

Militant said:

purplethunder3121 said:

eek

Indeed, I thought that was fascinating as well.

Context: The comment came from the lady who gave the talk on sexuality and humor. She mentioned that a fellow academic was researching Jehovah's Witnesses (her research didn't directly involve Prince), and during her research had talked to Bria Valente, and Bria had directly stated that that's why the relationship ended.

That was absolutely fascinating.


He had been a JW for a long time so he would not have had the same mindset a newbie would have had and lots of denominations not just JW's have members who wax and wane. It does not mean these people are not Christians and are thrown to the wolves.

I honeslty think a lot of people need to go to services of different denominations and take the time to get to know people and stop assuming that all organizied religions are some wack cult that wisk you away from family and friends.

My guess is Prince struggled because he was in the entertainment industry and it is obvious he never had any intentions on leaving it or secular life behind.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 05/31/17 6:00am

luvgirl

purplerabbithole said:

NO shit??? Is it wrong that I am thrilled by this? I don't mind him being a JW but I am glad he was thinking for himself a bit more. Unless they are just talking about him being a womanizer or something? Props to her though for keeping to herself after his death.





rlittler81 said:




purplerabbithole said:


rlittler81 said: JW/Bria Valente situation?

That she ended the relationship as Prince wasn't as commited to JW as much as she was.





I think this could have been blown out of proportion. Bria could have very well have spoken on terms of how committed she thought he should have been as a JW, What she deems acceptable behavior as a follower, not necessarily that he was not committed as a JW. I'm a Christian, but I definitely struggle with being the perfect Christian my pastor preaches about. I'm a Christian nonetheless. Only Jesus can tell me different... I can see my grandmother who is more mature on a spiritual level reprimanding me with a comment along the same lines as Bria's...
[Edited 5/31/17 7:07am]
I just want you here, I just want you near me baby, cause I'm scared I'll cry, I love you like crazy.
~RIP~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 05/31/17 6:29am

laurarichardso
n

luvgirl said:

purplerabbithole said:

NO shit??? Is it wrong that I am thrilled by this? I don't mind him being a JW but I am glad he was thinking for himself a bit more. Unless they are just talking about him being a womanizer or something? Props to her though for keeping to herself after his death.

I think this could have been blown out of proportion. Bria could have very well have spoken on terms of how committed she thought he should have been as a JW, What she deems acceptable behavior as a follower, not necessarily that he was not committed as a JW. I'm a Christian, but I definitely struggle with being the type of Christian my pastor preaches about. I'm a Christian nonetheless. Only Jesus can tell me different... I can see my grandmother who is more mature on a spiritual level reprimanding me with a comment along the same lines as Bria's... [Edited 5/31/17 6:19am]

Exactly, he was still a Christian just struggling.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 05/31/17 6:43am

Lovejunky

avatar

laurarichardson said:

luvgirl said:

purplerabbithole said: I think this could have been blown out of proportion. Bria could have very well have spoken on terms of how committed she thought he should have been as a JW, What she deems acceptable behavior as a follower, not necessarily that he was not committed as a JW. I'm a Christian, but I definitely struggle with being the type of Christian my pastor preaches about. I'm a Christian nonetheless. Only Jesus can tell me different... I can see my grandmother who is more mature on a spiritual level reprimanding me with a comment along the same lines as Bria's... [Edited 5/31/17 6:19am]

Exactly, he was still a Christian just struggling.

I think most of us are, if we are honest...

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
http://prince.org/msg/15/445991
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 05/31/17 7:16am

luvgirl

Lovejunky said:



laurarichardson said:




luvgirl said:


purplerabbithole said: I think this could have been blown out of proportion. Bria could have very well have spoken on terms of how committed she thought he should have been as a JW, What she deems acceptable behavior as a follower, not necessarily that he was not committed as a JW. I'm a Christian, but I definitely struggle with being the type of Christian my pastor preaches about. I'm a Christian nonetheless. Only Jesus can tell me different... I can see my grandmother who is more mature on a spiritual level reprimanding me with a comment along the same lines as Bria's... [Edited 5/31/17 6:19am]

Exactly, he was still a Christian just struggling.



I think most of us are, if we are honest...




Even the apostle Paul in the bible bemoaned his struggles with being the perfect Christian. We all fall short. Doesn't mean we are not Christians...
[Edited 5/31/17 7:39am]
I just want you here, I just want you near me baby, cause I'm scared I'll cry, I love you like crazy.
~RIP~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 05/31/17 9:57pm

purplerabbitho
le

YOu are blowing what I was saying out of proportion. Prince may have been struggling or he may have formed his own opinions without the context of his JW belief. I am not digging on religion. I am digging on people who are over zealous to their faith in a way that was alienating. Prince, at times, was that very thing.

luvgirl said:

Lovejunky said:

I think most of us are, if we are honest...

Even the apostle Paul in the bible bemoaned his struggles with being the perfect Christian. We all fall short. Doesn't mean we are not Christians... [Edited 5/31/17 7:39am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 06/01/17 4:16am

luvgirl

purplerabbithole said:

YOu are blowing what I was saying out of proportion. Prince may have been struggling or he may have formed his own opinions without the context of his JW belief. I am not digging on religion. I am digging on people who are over zealous to their faith in a way that was alienating. Prince, at times, was that very thing.





luvgirl said:


Lovejunky said:


I think most of us are, if we are honest...




Even the apostle Paul in the bible bemoaned his struggles with being the perfect Christian. We all fall short. Doesn't mean we are not Christians... [Edited 5/31/17 7:39am]



I understand. I was mostly addressing Bria's comment that he wasn't as committed as she was as a JW. The statement is loaded and easy to draw the wrong conclusions. It could simply mean (just my thoughts) that he wasn't ready to settle down, but still wanted to enjoy all the benefits of being in a marriage, or like you questioned his struggles with being in a committed relationship, so she felt he wasn't as devoted as she was.
[Edited 6/1/17 4:54am]
I just want you here, I just want you near me baby, cause I'm scared I'll cry, I love you like crazy.
~RIP~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 06/02/17 6:27am

jcurley

the problem Prince had with his Christianity as is well documented, is that he was very widely read. It's as if he chose JW as a life template but researched far broader spiritual and scientific documents. He had that Knowledge room in PP and contacted people like David Icke.

In this context he was bound to struggle because to do this obviously meant he hadnt definitively concluded on Gospel truth. In fact based on his faith I wonder imagine his reading material was tanatmount to sacrilege.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 06/14/17 4:40am

Laydown

laurarichardson said:

PurpleTrollster said:

purplerabbithole said: Yes, Prince was misogynistic. He was also quite the anti-Semite. Does no one remember my post last year about Rainbow Children?

Give us an example of his women hating?

Woman hating? Bob George. I know u will not think so but its true. Listen and read the lyrics aswell. Do I think he was mysoginistic? NO,NO,NO. Im giving an example of where Prince is hating woman

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 06/21/17 4:17pm

bonatoc

avatar

HerecomethePurpleYoda said:

Dez ain't cheap now...


...and sure has a high opinion of himself. Judging by the bio, he's Mo Ostin, Ahmet Ertegun and Phil Spector rolled in one. I appreciate the guy, but he could use a little modesty. But hey, rent's probably due, cuzz.

Africa, Cap'n Crunch, Norma Jean, Sex and Cheerio's
Play my record double speed, feel the climax fit 4 a king
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 06/21/17 4:25pm

bonatoc

avatar

Laydown said:

laurarichardson said:

Give us an example of his women hating?

Woman hating? Bob George. I know u will not think so but its true. Listen and read the lyrics aswell. Do I think he was mysoginistic? NO,NO,NO. Im giving an example of where Prince is hating woman


If you take "Bob George" seriously/litterally, I think you have serious/litteral issues.

Africa, Cap'n Crunch, Norma Jean, Sex and Cheerio's
Play my record double speed, feel the climax fit 4 a king
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Conference: Purple Reign - Salford, UK May 24th-26th