independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 16th Dec 2018 3:32pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What Was Prince's Biggest Miscalculation?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 12 of 14 « First<567891011121314>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #330 posted 12/04/18 1:17pm

luvsexy4all

its unfortunate that he toured instead of really working on GB

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #331 posted 12/04/18 4:09pm

funksterr

Hit-N-Run shows. All it did was frustrate and piss people off. He lost many a fan that way.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #332 posted 12/04/18 5:06pm

PeteSilas

funksterr said:

Hit-N-Run shows. All it did was frustrate and piss people off. He lost many a fan that way.

why? because he didn't announce the shows? I missed him five years ago because of that but I wasn't angry about it, only at myself. I've missed springsteen a couple times too and felt bad about it. Life doesn't afford me the time to keep my ear to the ground.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #333 posted 12/04/18 6:30pm

funksterr

PeteSilas said:

funksterr said:

Hit-N-Run shows. All it did was frustrate and piss people off. He lost many a fan that way.

why? because he didn't announce the shows? I missed him five years ago because of that but I wasn't angry about it, only at myself. I've missed springsteen a couple times too and felt bad about it. Life doesn't afford me the time to keep my ear to the ground.

Yep most people are that way. He was doing that as far back as the 80's. Casual fans would just give up on him a lot of times.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #334 posted 12/04/18 11:31pm

Cerebus

avatar

Overcalculating.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #335 posted 12/04/18 11:51pm

TXfan

Trusting street bought pills vs. pharmacy bought pills which he had just filled the day before. There’s no way I would taken anything other than trusted pharmacy pills after overdosing just days earlier. That kind of scare would have had my ass in rehab and church no matter what people thought of me. I always thought Prince was too smart for that.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #336 posted 12/05/18 2:05am

bonatoc

avatar

Disbanding The Time, although I can understand the feeling of danger felt by Prince:
"Is my side act going to be more successful than I am?"

But I can't help but thinking about Jam & Lewis running A&R for Paisley Park Records.
Janet, The Human League, etc... The label could have been big.
They would have brought in the cash, and Prince would have been free to put out a record every month, as he intended.
Warner would have sustained his (very expensive) regimen with PPR able to produce Top 10 singles.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #337 posted 12/05/18 2:30am

Dimitri10

TXfan said:

Trusting street bought pills vs. pharmacy bought pills which he had just filled the day before. There’s no way I would taken anything other than trusted pharmacy pills after overdosing just days earlier. That kind of scare would have had my ass in rehab and church no matter what people thought of me. I always thought Prince was too smart for that.

Out of all the stuff thats relates to his death the buying of street pills seems to be the only real fact, unfortunetly seeking the right help was too late and who knows at that point whether he was really going to go through with it, doctors/rehab ect. If only he had another "Black Album' moment and go cold turkey with that shit.

"Prince don't know how many hits he got"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #338 posted 12/05/18 3:43am

TheTruth123

Dimitri10 said:



TXfan said:


Trusting street bought pills vs. pharmacy bought pills which he had just filled the day before. There’s no way I would taken anything other than trusted pharmacy pills after overdosing just days earlier. That kind of scare would have had my ass in rehab and church no matter what people thought of me. I always thought Prince was too smart for that.



Out of all the stuff thats relates to his death the buying of street pills seems to be the only real fact, unfortunetly seeking the right help was too late and who knows at that point whether he was really going to go through with it, doctors/rehab ect. If only he had another "Black Album' moment and go cold turkey with that shit.



This is the way it ended. We are sad, yes. But he had performed at such high levels for so many years and played music every day, his body was wore out. He was tired. And he didn’t have the love in his life he so wanted to keep him warm. I believe he just didn’t see a reason for another go-round.
His life was a gift and he was a gift to all who were lucky enough to be around him.
The most loved artist of our time.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #339 posted 12/05/18 6:20am

peggyon

TheTruth123 said:

Dimitri10 said:

Out of all the stuff thats relates to his death the buying of street pills seems to be the only real fact, unfortunetly seeking the right help was too late and who knows at that point whether he was really going to go through with it, doctors/rehab ect. If only he had another "Black Album' moment and go cold turkey with that shit.

This is the way it ended. We are sad, yes. But he had performed at such high levels for so many years and played music every day, his body was wore out. He was tired. And he didn’t have the love in his life he so wanted to keep him warm. I believe he just didn’t see a reason for another go-round. His life was a gift and he was a gift to all who were lucky enough to be around him. The most loved artist of our time.

He did give us so much. I still wonder if he was really sick as well as addicted. In that case, trying to give up what gave him comfort would have not made sense.

Either way, he did seem done.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #340 posted 12/05/18 12:54pm

frazetta

avatar

1st - think that Under the Cherry Moon was a wise follow-up to PR

and

2nd - thinking that Graffiti Bridge was a wise sequel to PR

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #341 posted 12/05/18 2:49pm

PeteSilas

bonatoc said:

Disbanding The Time, although I can understand the feeling of danger felt by Prince:
"Is my side act going to be more successful than I am?"

But I can't help but thinking about Jam & Lewis running A&R for Paisley Park Records.
Janet, The Human League, etc... The label could have been big.
They would have brought in the cash, and Prince would have been free to put out a record every month, as he intended.
Warner would have sustained his (very expensive) regimen with PPR able to produce Top 10 singles.

that was a huge one but you know, i just watched a little thing on wilt chamberlain, the giant basketball player, people were saying how much greater he could have been if he'd had more intensity, people would have gotten injured but he would have accomplished a lot more but as one guy said "we are victims of our own personalities".

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #342 posted 12/05/18 4:22pm

bonatoc

avatar

PeteSilas said:

bonatoc said:

Disbanding The Time, although I can understand the feeling of danger felt by Prince:
"Is my side act going to be more successful than I am?"

But I can't help but thinking about Jam & Lewis running A&R for Paisley Park Records.
Janet, The Human League, etc... The label could have been big.
They would have brought in the cash, and Prince would have been free to put out a record every month, as he intended.
Warner would have sustained his (very expensive) regimen with PPR able to produce Top 10 singles.

that was a huge one but you know, i just watched a little thing on wilt chamberlain, the giant basketball player, people were saying how much greater he could have been if he'd had more intensity, people would have gotten injured but he would have accomplished a lot more but as one guy said "we are victims of our own personalities".


Oh, I'm just chiming in.
I'm not appreciating Prince's life in terms of miscalculations or achievements. Fuck that Rat Race.
The only thing he ever really calculated how much less BPM you need in order to record at the speed required for Camille to be born.

As for the rest and things we would like to have gone our way, imagine you're in Prince's shoes, and ask yourself a question.
When was the last time you got a full night sleep? For a guy in constant motion, time probably ran at another pace than ours.
Imagine the solitude, as a human being. You're almost always waiting for everyone to catch up. You have to convince them.
You have to prove you're the shit. Win their hearts. Make them adhere to your vision. Once you're done, it's taken months,
and other visions are already there, and you feel like everyone is late. It's only natural you get the fits from, err... time to time.

For Prince to overcome his childhood insecurities (how much mascara does one person need? How large must the mask be?),
love and friendship must be forever (ah, romance). It's all or nothing. Any attempt to move away from him is experienced as betrayal.
I don't think it was selfish, though. He felt he had a mission. Prince must have astonished himself at times, and the fact that "Special Thanks 2 God" was the first liner note
is proof he himself had trouble rationalizing his own talents.

Prince simply waited for his body to catch up with what was already in his mind, hoping constant training would be the key.
From the Capri Theatre to the 1st Avenue Benefit Concert for Minnesota Dance Theatre in UNDER FIVE YEARS.
From stage clumsiness to the most complete pop performer ever to witness a stage. From debut falsetto shyness to instant classic rock'n'roll defeaning screams.
In under five years. Everytime we're talking about Prince, we're talking about someone whose very existence distorts the meaning of "normality".
That we shoud remember before we judge any of Prince's decisions or choices.

These imaginary betrayals must have been pretty heavy on a hypersensitive guy.
"Old Friends 4 Sale" goes right through your heart not because it rings true: that's what regular pop music does.
It goes right through your heart because it IS true. Here lies all the difference between an honest man and the dream factory.




[Edited 12/5/18 16:24pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #343 posted 12/05/18 10:28pm

PeteSilas

i'm not criticizing him, i'm saying something more along the lines of his personality was what it was and I might add that maybe if that were changed in any way it wouldn't be prince as we've known him.

bonatoc said:

PeteSilas said:

that was a huge one but you know, i just watched a little thing on wilt chamberlain, the giant basketball player, people were saying how much greater he could have been if he'd had more intensity, people would have gotten injured but he would have accomplished a lot more but as one guy said "we are victims of our own personalities".


Oh, I'm just chiming in.
I'm not appreciating Prince's life in terms of miscalculations or achievements. Fuck that Rat Race.
The only thing he ever really calculated how much less BPM you need in order to record at the speed required for Camille to be born.

As for the rest and things we would like to have gone our way, imagine you're in Prince's shoes, and ask yourself a question.
When was the last time you got a full night sleep? For a guy in constant motion, time probably ran at another pace than ours.
Imagine the solitude, as a human being. You're almost always waiting for everyone to catch up. You have to convince them.
You have to prove you're the shit. Win their hearts. Make them adhere to your vision. Once you're done, it's taken months,
and other visions are already there, and you feel like everyone is late. It's only natural you get the fits from, err... time to time.

For Prince to overcome his childhood insecurities (how much mascara does one person need? How large must the mask be?),
love and friendship must be forever (ah, romance). It's all or nothing. Any attempt to move away from him is experienced as betrayal.
I don't think it was selfish, though. He felt he had a mission. Prince must have astonished himself at times, and the fact that "Special Thanks 2 God" was the first liner note
is proof he himself had trouble rationalizing his own talents.

Prince simply waited for his body to catch up with what was already in his mind, hoping constant training would be the key.
From the Capri Theatre to the 1st Avenue Benefit Concert for Minnesota Dance Theatre in UNDER FIVE YEARS.
From stage clumsiness to the most complete pop performer ever to witness a stage. From debut falsetto shyness to instant classic rock'n'roll defeaning screams.
In under five years. Everytime we're talking about Prince, we're talking about someone whose very existence distorts the meaning of "normality".
That we shoud remember before we judge any of Prince's decisions or choices.

These imaginary betrayals must have been pretty heavy on a hypersensitive guy.
"Old Friends 4 Sale" goes right through your heart not because it rings true: that's what regular pop music does.
It goes right through your heart because it IS true. Here lies all the difference between an honest man and the dream factory.




[Edited 12/5/18 16:24pm]

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #344 posted 12/06/18 5:37pm

herb4

avatar

Musician9 said:

1) Not touring a bit longer for Purple Rain, and a short summer leg in Europe, the summer gigs could've satisfied ATWIAD fans and promoted the album.

2) Not going out dancing the night of the We Are The World session. I understand him trying to be cool and all, but all he had to do was sit in his hotel room for a few hours, but no...

3) Making Under The Cherry Moon, he knew it was shite and so did we. Epic waste of time and resources.

4) Dedicating so much energy and time to Sheila E. I never understood his devotion to her so-called career other than he was banging her, but I guess it proves he loved her in the end.

5) Not touring a bit longer for Parade in the US, his tours were too short in this period. All that hype for 30 some odd dates.

6) The big one. not touring US for SOTT, goes without saying, career killer in my book, he got scared then he got lazy.

7) Posing bare-ass on Lovesexy, career killer dittto, what was he thinking? What normal grown man wants to thumb through his vinyl collection and and have to look at a nude effeminate man on its cover? Not me. Sorry, this is not art, unless it's the art of sabotaging your own album.

8) Graffitti Bridge, enough said.

9) Not touring the US for Diamonds And Pearls.

By this stage, changing his name and going to war with Warner Brothers was hardly his biggest error in my opinion. P fudcked up about a hundred times along the way. At this point, for me, Classic Prince was finished and never to return, wandering in a maze he couldn't exit for over a decade and I truly never regained my love for him or his catalogue. So for me it will always be 80's Prince from 82-88, a good run like most acts get but he dropped the ball so many times when he had it squarely in his hands... I call him butterfingers.

So you dont like Prince then?

Wow, that's a lot of "career killers" for a dude that had a legendary career that lasted over 35 years.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #345 posted 12/06/18 7:05pm

RJP1205

bonatoc said:



PeteSilas said:




bonatoc said:


Disbanding The Time, although I can understand the feeling of danger felt by Prince:
"Is my side act going to be more successful than I am?"

But I can't help but thinking about Jam & Lewis running A&R for Paisley Park Records.
Janet, The Human League, etc... The label could have been big.
They would have brought in the cash, and Prince would have been free to put out a record every month, as he intended.
Warner would have sustained his (very expensive) regimen with PPR able to produce Top 10 singles.



that was a huge one but you know, i just watched a little thing on wilt chamberlain, the giant basketball player, people were saying how much greater he could have been if he'd had more intensity, people would have gotten injured but he would have accomplished a lot more but as one guy said "we are victims of our own personalities".




Oh, I'm just chiming in.
I'm not appreciating Prince's life in terms of miscalculations or achievements. Fuck that Rat Race.
The only thing he ever really calculated how much less BPM you need in order to record at the speed required for Camille to be born.

As for the rest and things we would like to have gone our way, imagine you're in Prince's shoes, and ask yourself a question.
When was the last time you got a full night sleep? For a guy in constant motion, time probably ran at another pace than ours.
Imagine the solitude, as a human being. You're almost always waiting for everyone to catch up. You have to convince them.
You have to prove you're the shit. Win their hearts. Make them adhere to your vision. Once you're done, it's taken months,
and other visions are already there, and you feel like everyone is late. It's only natural you get the fits from, err... time to time.

For Prince to overcome his childhood insecurities (how much mascara does one person need? How large must the mask be?),
love and friendship must be forever (ah, romance). It's all or nothing. Any attempt to move away from him is experienced as betrayal.
I don't think it was selfish, though. He felt he had a mission. Prince must have astonished himself at times, and the fact that "Special Thanks 2 God" was the first liner note
is proof he himself had trouble rationalizing his own talents.

Prince simply waited for his body to catch up with what was already in his mind, hoping constant training would be the key.
From the Capri Theatre to the 1st Avenue Benefit Concert for Minnesota Dance Theatre in UNDER FIVE YEARS.
From stage clumsiness to the most complete pop performer ever to witness a stage. From debut falsetto shyness to instant classic rock'n'roll defeaning screams.
In under five years. Everytime we're talking about Prince, we're talking about someone whose very existence distorts the meaning of "normality".
That we shoud remember before we judge any of Prince's decisions or choices.

These imaginary betrayals must have been pretty heavy on a hypersensitive guy.
"Old Friends 4 Sale" goes right through your heart not because it rings true: that's what regular pop music does.
It goes right through your heart because it IS true. Here lies all the difference between an honest man and the dream factory.





[Edited 12/5/18 16:24pm]


💜
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #346 posted 12/07/18 9:00am

AnnaSantana

CatB said:



Larry Graham



DING ding we have a winner
finger DONALD TRUMP
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #347 posted 12/07/18 12:06pm

luvsexy4all

AnnaSantana said:

CatB said:



Larry Graham

DING ding we have a winner

so wrong...without larry his drug problem wouldve been worse or surfaced sooner

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #348 posted 12/07/18 8:53pm

PeteSilas

luvsexy4all said:

AnnaSantana said:

CatB said: DING ding we have a winner

so wrong...without larry his drug problem wouldve been worse or surfaced sooner

maybe or, maybe he'd have had all the surgical help he'd needed

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #349 posted 12/09/18 3:52pm

Buttox

Not letting Maurice White produce his first album. Learning discipline, hooks and melodies from Earth Wind and Fire would have probably catapulted him into Beatles territory with his catalogue. Less quirky but much more relevant...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #350 posted 12/09/18 6:42pm

PeteSilas

Buttox said:

Not letting Maurice White produce his first album. Learning discipline, hooks and melodies from Earth Wind and Fire would have probably catapulted him into Beatles territory with his catalogue. Less quirky but much more relevant...

"is maurice white suppossed to impress me? all he can do is play bass!""

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #351 posted 12/09/18 9:13pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

AnnaSantana said:

CatB said: DING ding we have a winner

so wrong...without larry his drug problem wouldve been worse or surfaced sooner



I dont believe this to be true.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #352 posted 12/10/18 5:02am

Buttox

PeteSilas said:



Buttox said:


Not letting Maurice White produce his first album. Learning discipline, hooks and melodies from Earth Wind and Fire would have probably catapulted him into Beatles territory with his catalogue. Less quirky but much more relevant...

"is maurice white suppossed to impress me? all he can do is play bass!""


And in that quotation lies the fault and hubris in Prince's legacy...more does not equal better...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #353 posted 12/10/18 10:09am

Buttox

herb4 said:



Musician9 said:


1) Not touring a bit longer for Purple Rain, and a short summer leg in Europe, the summer gigs could've satisfied ATWIAD fans and promoted the album.



2) Not going out dancing the night of the We Are The World session. I understand him trying to be cool and all, but all he had to do was sit in his hotel room for a few hours, but no...



3) Making Under The Cherry Moon, he knew it was shite and so did we. Epic waste of time and resources.



4) Dedicating so much energy and time to Sheila E. I never understood his devotion to her so-called career other than he was banging her, but I guess it proves he loved her in the end.



5) Not touring a bit longer for Parade in the US, his tours were too short in this period. All that hype for 30 some odd dates.



6) The big one. not touring US for SOTT, goes without saying, career killer in my book, he got scared then he got lazy.



7) Posing bare-ass on Lovesexy, career killer dittto, what was he thinking? What normal grown man wants to thumb through his vinyl collection and and have to look at a nude effeminate man on its cover? Not me. Sorry, this is not art, unless it's the art of sabotaging your own album.



8) Graffitti Bridge, enough said.



9) Not touring the US for Diamonds And Pearls.



By this stage, changing his name and going to war with Warner Brothers was hardly his biggest error in my opinion. P fudcked up about a hundred times along the way. At this point, for me, Classic Prince was finished and never to return, wandering in a maze he couldn't exit for over a decade and I truly never regained my love for him or his catalogue. So for me it will always be 80's Prince from 82-88, a good run like most acts get but he dropped the ball so many times when he had it squarely in his hands... I call him butterfingers.




So you dont like Prince then?

Wow, that's a lot of "career killers" for a dude that had a legendary career that lasted over 35 years.


It is just an opinion...no need to get shirty and defensive about it....people are allowed to like Prince less than you do...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #354 posted 12/10/18 7:13pm

Quicho1

Hello. I'm finally registered and able to post. Please don't be too harsh if I come across as too opiniated

One of the things that made made my all-time favorite artist, as well as the most talented and prolific of the last quarter of the 20th Century, is that Prince always did whatever his muse dictated; commercial considerations were usually secondary. I admire this tremendously, and respect him for it; the sign of a true artist. However, this can also lead to things that are maddening about his choices. Many left-turns in his career might have been satisfying to himself as well as the true believers, but it often hurt his .momentum.

That said, I think one of his most impactful decisions was the release of ATWIAD, and the decision to promote it minimally. At his commercial peak, with millions of new fans, he throws them something many couldn't get into. I think it would have been better to focus on at least one, maybe two, interim albums which were more fan-friendly. Nothing really needed to be done to record new music; he had plenty available. Here we enter that alternate universe where anything goes. Between all the stuff done for PR, but not used, tracks never considered for it nor released, some of his excellent b-sides of the period, and some of the tracks he farmed out to his other artists, a couple of great collections of songs could be assembled.

I can see the first post-PR album have continuing focus on guitar tracks, along with that computer -based sound, and a return to the funky stuff not included on PR. Here could be a sample:

Extraloveable and/or
Lust U Always (both with some lyrical deletions)
Erotic City (long version)
Electric Intercourse
*****
Love and Sex
17 Days
Wonderful Ass
Noon Rendezvous
And....alt universe time again...
Something in the Water.

The last two would each be 6+ minutes, and be based on the versions recorded for the 27th b-day rehearsal and actual show, respectively.

Also, if there exists the recording of the fast version of Temptation, with the Revolution playing, and without the "God" exchange. Would make for a killer album, possibly titled Erotic City or Electric Intercourse, to tweak Tipper Gore's campaign. Singles could be Extraloveable, Erotic City, 17 Days. and Noon Rendezvous.

A second album in my alternate universe could have the added bonus of a sequel to the Purple Rain movie/soundtrack. This could again be somewhat autobiographical, incorporating the loss of Morris Day, and featuring new entities The Family and Sheila E. Jill Jones would be more prominent as well. Their albums could also tie ino the film, minus the tracks that would remain as Prince releases. The film/ album could be called Roadhouse Garden. A plot strand could have him struggling with Possessed, thus using at least 2 versions. Here is the possible list of tracks for the album (double album even):

Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
Possessed (the solo recording w/out bass which was on PR Deluxe)
G-Spot (solo Prince, but maybe as duet with JJ)
Nothing Compares 2 U
*****
All Day, All Night
God (the vocal version)
Dance Electric
*****
Our Destiny
Roadhouse Garden
Mutiny
Another Lonely Christmas
*****
She's Always in my Hair (Long version)
100 MPH
America (longer edit w/more of the guitar solo from the 20+ min. version)
Possessed (version like that done in 27th b-day concert).

This would be the Prince (double) album. G-Spot and SAIMH would highlight the ongoing relationship with Jill. Also part of the storyline would be getting a sax player, highlighted in NC2U and Mutiny. Tracks in the movie would include The Family's Screams of Passion, Jill Jones' Mia Bocca, and Sheila E's A Love Bizarre. These would be singles along with Prince/Revolution's All Day All Night, She's Always in my Hair, Nothing Compares 2 U, Can't Stop and/or America or 100MPH.

Of course, America would need replacing on ATWIAD, maybe by the fast version of the title song.
[Edited 12/10/18 23:03pm]
[Edited 12/11/18 4:26am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #355 posted 12/11/18 1:41am

bonatoc

avatar

Quicho1 said:

America (longer edit w/more of the guitar solo from the 20+ min. version)


You won't have that. They jammed live until they ran out of tape.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #356 posted 12/11/18 4:30am

Quicho1

bonatoc said:



Quicho1 said:


America (longer edit w/more of the guitar solo from the 20+ min. version)


You won't have that. They jammed live until they ran out of tape.



Guess I'm thinking along the lines of the nearly 9 minute long fan-created version found on YouTube. Some of the guitar solos are used there. Imo the edit on ATWIAD is weak because it is faded so early, due both to space as well as Prince already de-emphasizing the rock elements of PR. Of course, the 12" release will still have the 21 minute version.
[Edited 12/11/18 4:35am]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #357 posted 12/11/18 5:47am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Quicho1 said:

bonatoc said:


You won't have that. They jammed live until they ran out of tape.

Guess I'm thinking along the lines of the nearly 9 minute long fan-created version found on YouTube. Some of the guitar solos are used there. Imo the edit on ATWIAD is weak because it is faded so early, due both to space as well as Prince already de-emphasizing the rock elements of PR. Of course, the 12" release will still have the 21 minute version. [Edited 12/11/18 4:35am]

Maybe there is video of it that is longer. Since Prince is said to have recorded everything.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #358 posted 12/11/18 7:36am

TwiliteKid

avatar

Buttox said:

herb4 said:



Musician9 said:


1) Not touring a bit longer for Purple Rain, and a short summer leg in Europe, the summer gigs could've satisfied ATWIAD fans and promoted the album.



2) Not going out dancing the night of the We Are The World session. I understand him trying to be cool and all, but all he had to do was sit in his hotel room for a few hours, but no...



3) Making Under The Cherry Moon, he knew it was shite and so did we. Epic waste of time and resources.



4) Dedicating so much energy and time to Sheila E. I never understood his devotion to her so-called career other than he was banging her, but I guess it proves he loved her in the end.



5) Not touring a bit longer for Parade in the US, his tours were too short in this period. All that hype for 30 some odd dates.



6) The big one. not touring US for SOTT, goes without saying, career killer in my book, he got scared then he got lazy.



7) Posing bare-ass on Lovesexy, career killer dittto, what was he thinking? What normal grown man wants to thumb through his vinyl collection and and have to look at a nude effeminate man on its cover? Not me. Sorry, this is not art, unless it's the art of sabotaging your own album.



8) Graffitti Bridge, enough said.



9) Not touring the US for Diamonds And Pearls.



By this stage, changing his name and going to war with Warner Brothers was hardly his biggest error in my opinion. P fudcked up about a hundred times along the way. At this point, for me, Classic Prince was finished and never to return, wandering in a maze he couldn't exit for over a decade and I truly never regained my love for him or his catalogue. So for me it will always be 80's Prince from 82-88, a good run like most acts get but he dropped the ball so many times when he had it squarely in his hands... I call him butterfingers.




So you dont like Prince then?

Wow, that's a lot of "career killers" for a dude that had a legendary career that lasted over 35 years.


It is just an opinion...no need to get shirty and defensive about it....people are allowed to like Prince less than you do...


Your homophobia re: the Lovesexy cover is appalling. “Normal”? Are you fucking kidding? I hope you feel very unwelcome here.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #359 posted 12/11/18 9:21am

Guitarhero

avatar

TwiliteKid said:

Buttox said:
It is just an opinion...no need to get shirty and defensive about it....people are allowed to like Prince less than you do...
Your homophobia re: the Lovesexy cover is appalling. “Normal”? Are you fucking kidding? I hope you feel very unwelcome here.

Exactly surprised more have not called that out here confused

Miss my wife Julita rose
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 12 of 14 « First<567891011121314>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What Was Prince's Biggest Miscalculation?