independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 21st Jan 2020 4:16pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Rank the 1990's albums
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/22/19 10:12am

mushmackalenta

Rank the 1990's albums

1. Emancipation
2. Symbol
3. Graffiti Bridge
4. Crystal Ball
5. The Gold Experience
6. Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
7. Diamonds and Pearls
8. Chaos and Disorder
9. Come
10.The Truth
11. The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale
12. NewPower Soul
13. Exodus
14. Goldnigga
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/22/19 10:36am

AZStreet

avatar

mushmackalenta said:

1. Emancipation 2. Symbol 3. Graffiti Bridge 4. Crystal Ball 5. The Gold Experience 6. Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic 7. Diamonds and Pearls 8. Chaos and Disorder 9. Come 10.The Truth 11. The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale 12. NewPower Soul 13. Exodus 14. Goldnigga

For me:

Diamonds and Pearls

Symbol

TGE

Crystal Ball

The Truth

Graffiti Bridge

Come

Emancipation

Exodus

The Vault

Rave

Goldnigga

Chaos

New Power Soul

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/22/19 11:44am

TheFman

Diamonds and Pearls

TGE

Chaos

Graffiti Bridge

The Vault

Crystal Ball

Symbol

Come

The Truth
Emancipation

Rave

Goldnigga

New Power Soul

Exodus

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/22/19 2:05pm

fabriziovenera
ndi

avatar

The Truth

Symbol

Crystal Ball

Emancipation
The Gold Experience

Chaos and Disorder

The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale

NewPower Soul

Come
Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
Graffiti Bridge
Diamonds and Pearls
Exodus
Goldnigga

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/22/19 2:38pm

sexton

avatar

The Gold Experience

The Undertaker

prince

Exodus

Graffiti Bridge

Crystal Ball

Diamonds and Pearls

Chaos and Disorder

Come

Goldnigga

Emancipation

Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic

Newpower Soul

The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale

Kamasutra

The Truth

[Edited 11/22/19 14:39pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/22/19 3:16pm

fen

avatar

fabriziovenerandi said:

The Truth

Symbol

Crystal Ball

Emancipation
The Gold Experience

Chaos and Disorder

The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale

NewPower Soul

Come
Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
Graffiti Bridge
Diamonds and Pearls
Exodus
Goldnigga

I know that these things are subjective, but Newpower Soul is better than Graffiti Bridge? eek I agree that the whole “label sampler” thing didn’t really work, but there’s at least 2 or 3 genuinely great Prince tracks on GB - surprised to see it so low.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/22/19 3:22pm

jdcxc

Symbol
Come
Truth
Emancipation
Crystal Ball
The Vault
New Power Soul
Graffiti
Exodus
Chaos
Diamonds
Gold
Rave
Goldnigga
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/22/19 3:29pm

fen

avatar

Graffiti Bridge

Symbol

The Undertaker

Diamonds and Pearls

Come

The Truth

The Gold Experience

Exodus

Chaos and Disorder

The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale

Goldnigga

Emancipation

Rave

Newpower Soul

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/22/19 3:50pm

AZStreet

avatar

fen said:

fabriziovenerandi said:

The Truth

Symbol

Crystal Ball

Emancipation
The Gold Experience

Chaos and Disorder

The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale

NewPower Soul

Come
Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
Graffiti Bridge
Diamonds and Pearls
Exodus
Goldnigga

I know that these things are subjective, but Newpower Soul is better than Graffiti Bridge? eek I agree that the whole “label sampler” thing didn’t really work, but there’s at least 2 or 3 genuinely great Prince tracks on GB - surprised to see it so low.

faint

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/22/19 4:46pm

ea1313

avatar

Symbol

The Gold Experience

Diamonds and Pearls
Exodus
Crystal Ball
The Truth

Come

Graffiti Bridge

Emancipation
NewPower Soul

The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale

Goldnigga
Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
Chaos and Disorder

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/22/19 7:29pm

fen

avatar

AZStreet said:

fen said:

I know that these things are subjective, but Newpower Soul is better than Graffiti Bridge? eek I agree that the whole “label sampler” thing didn’t really work, but there’s at least 2 or 3 genuinely great Prince tracks on GB - surprised to see it so low.

faint

lol Personally I think that Joy In Repetition, We Can Funk and A Question of U are great tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/22/19 8:02pm

dimmy

avatar

The Gold Experience

Symbol

Diamonds and Pearls

Emancipation

Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic

Crystal Ball

Chaos and Disorder

Come

The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale
NewPower Soul
Graffiti Bridge

The Truth

Exodus

Goldnigga




  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/22/19 8:16pm

AnnaStesia10

avatar

The Gold Experience
Emancipation
Symbol Album
Come
Diamonds and Pearls
Graffiti Bridge
Crystal Ball
Exodus
The Undertaker
Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
The Vault...Old Friends 4 Sale
NewPower Soul
Chaos and Disorder
The Truth
Goldnigga
"A strong spirit transcends rules." - Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/22/19 8:27pm

Poplife88

avatar

The Gold Experience
Emancipation
Graffiti Bridge
Crystal Ball
Exodus
Diamonds & Pearls
New Power Soul
The Vault
Come
Symbol
Chaos & Disorder
Rave
We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/22/19 8:56pm

fabriziovenera
ndi

avatar

fen said:

fabriziovenerandi said:

I know that these things are subjective, but Newpower Soul is better than Graffiti Bridge? eek I agree that the whole “label sampler” thing didn’t really work, but there’s at least 2 or 3 genuinely great Prince tracks on GB - surprised to see it so low.

.


For me Newpowersoul works better "as album" than Graffiti Bridge. In the GB there are some gems inside, but there are also weaker songs that keep me away from it. All in all the quality of Newpowersoul is perhaps lower, but more homogeneous and contains some experiments that have aged better than those of GB.
I think there is also a point of sensitivity and personal history: GB was for me the first big disappointment after the Parade-Lovesexy era I had loved, so it's not an album that I love to listen to again today.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/22/19 9:43pm

TheBoneRanger

Emancipation

Come

The Truth

Crystal Ball

Love Symbol

NewPower Soul

Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic

Diamonds and Pearls

Graffiti Bridge

The Gold Experience

Chaos and Disorder

The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale

Hi-yo Silver, it's The Bone Ranger!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/22/19 10:12pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

TGE
Come
The Truth
The Vault
Symbol
Newpower
GB
Exodus
Crystal Ball
D&P
C&D
Emancipation
Rave
Goldnigga

All fantastic though. The top few r the easiest listens n some top notch jams. The last few have some clunkers but still bump. GN is only so low cuz P only appears briefly. Some good 1s on that even especially in live renditions 😃
Does anybody want this body? sexy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/22/19 11:25pm

Romeoblu

Emancipation
Crystal Ball
Symbol
The Gold Experience
Graffiti Bridge
Chaos and Disorder
Rave Un2 The Joy fantastic
Diamonds and Pearls
Come
The Truth
The vault
Exodus
Nps
Gold Nigga
[Edited 11/22/19 23:26pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/23/19 1:34am

RJOrion

1. Symbol
2. Graffiti Bridge
3. Diamonds & Pearls
4. Come
5. Crystal Ball
6. Exodus
7. Emancipation
8. The Truth
9. New Power Soul
10. Rave

worst: Chaos & Disorder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/23/19 2:09am

ForbiddenFruit

  1. Diamonds And Pearls
  2. Come
  3. Graffiti Bridge
  4. O+>
  5. The Gold Experience
  6. Old Friends 4 Sale
  7. Emancipation
  8. Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
  9. New Power Soul
  10. The Truth
  11. Crystal Ball
  12. Chaos And Disorder
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/23/19 4:58am

Freek99999

1 The Gold Experience

2 Graffiti Bridge

3 Come

4 Symbol

5 Emancipation

6 Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic

7 Chaso & Disorder

8 New Power Soul

9 The Truth

10 Exodus

11 Diamonds & Pearls

12 The Vault

13 Goldnigga

I don't consider Crystal Ball an album so it's not in my list.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/23/19 5:01am

gandorb

The Gold Experience

Graffiti Bridge

Exodus (minus the segues)

Crystal Ball

Emancipation

Rave

Diamonds and Pearls

The Vault

New Power Soul

Come

Symbol The Truth

Goldnigga

The real surprise for me on most of the lists is how low Exodus is rated. IMO, it has some of his funkiest and best songs of the 90s. Were people penalizing it for those horrible segues?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/23/19 5:57am

coldasice

The funny this is if Grafitti Bridge was released now with all the vault songs re-recorded people would love it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/23/19 6:16am

VaultCurator

avatar

01) Crystal Ball

+ includes sensational Sign & Gold era tracks such as Crucial, Sexual Suicide, Good Love, Acknowledge Me, Interactive, Days Of Wild (live) and Get Loose

- album is brick walled beyond anything in Prince's discography and many of the tracks have been edited down

02) Exodus

+ This entire LP (almost) is funky as hell. Even the outtakes from this era are incredible.

- Not keen on the track New Power Soul, there are far too many interludes and there is an audio error during one of the skits.

03) The Gold Experience

+ I really like the singles. Probably his strongest 90s songs. (Beautiful, I Hate U, Gold)

- I much prefer many of the outtakes to the songs that actually ended up on here. I'd have preferred songs like Acknowledge Me, Interactive and Days Of Wild over P Control, We March, Now and Shy.

04) prince

+ Although there aren't any particular songs on here that stand out from the crowd, I do enjoy it as a whole. I think it's a great listen from start to finish.

- Could have done with some really good commercial tracks like Gett Off

05) Come

+ I think I'd rank every song on here as above average, although my favorite has to be Pheromone. A dark record with some really interesting pieces (ie Papa and Solo)

- The album is a bit disjointed with no consistent theme. Also, screw the interludes. That poem nonsense really kills the pace of the record.

06) Diamonds And Pearls

+ Two great singles in Gett Off & Diamonds And Pearls

- Most of this album is pretty meh. This would have ranked much lower had it not been for Gett off.

07) Emancipation

+ I really like bits and pieces on this album. I love the upbeat stuff like Jam Of The Yearm, Email, Joint 2 Joint and Sleep Around

- Can't enjoy it as an album on account of it being way too long. Not so keen on the ballads here.

08) Graffiti Bridge

+ We can Funk is a personal fave. Not the best version but the best we had at the time. Also it was great to see Joy and Can't Stop get released.

- Has a few great songs, but not enough to lift the album as a whole. Think I would have preferred the associated artists tracks on separate albums. I'm not so keen on Release It, Round and Round & Shake. I think they drag the experience down a bit.

09) Newpower Soul

+ Nice. I love the overall vibe of this album. Sounds fresh. Funky in places. A bit of a gem.

- Enjoyable but not the most memorable album. A bunch of nice tracks, but no really great ones.

10) Chaos And Disorder

+ Like prince, I do enjoy Chaos as an album although it's difficult to pick out particular songs that I think are great, I do think 'Dig U Better Dead' is underrated.

- It's good for what it is, but there are no major stand out tracks.

11) Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic

+ Greatest Romance is nice. Baby Knows and Pretty Man are fun.

- Pretty bland overall. Everyday Is A Winding Road was a low point.

12) The Truth

+ Strong start. I like the opening couple of tracks.

- Quickly goes downhill after that. Very boring.

13) Gold Nigga

+ I quite like Call The Law, and Black MFs is amusing

- Very little interest overall

14) The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale

+ ... No idea

- This record is a waste of time

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/23/19 7:07am

RJOrion

coldasice said:

The funny this is if Grafitti Bridge was released now with all the vault songs re-recorded people would love it.



i loved it regardless
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/23/19 11:06am

MIRvmn

avatar

prince
Come
The Gold Experience
Graffiti Bridge
Diamonds and pearls
Emancipation
Crystal Ball
Newpower Soul
Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic
Exodus
Chaos & Disorder
The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale
The Truth
Goldnigga
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/23/19 11:30am

fen

avatar

fabriziovenerandi said:

fen said:

I know that these things are subjective, but Newpower Soul is better than Graffiti Bridge? eek I agree that the whole “label sampler” thing didn’t really work, but there’s at least 2 or 3 genuinely great Prince tracks on GB - surprised to see it so low.

.


For me Newpowersoul works better "as album" than Graffiti Bridge. In the GB there are some gems inside, but there are also weaker songs that keep me away from it. All in all the quality of Newpowersoul is perhaps lower, but more homogeneous and contains some experiments that have aged better than those of GB.
I think there is also a point of sensitivity and personal history: GB was for me the first big disappointment after the Parade-Lovesexy era I had loved, so it's not an album that I love to listen to again today.

Yeah, I can see that - NewPowerSoul is definitely more consistent in terms of sound, theme etc. I never hated it, but Come On is the only track that stood out for me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/23/19 12:07pm

jdcxc

VaultCurator said:

01) Crystal Ball


+ includes sensational Sign & Gold era tracks such as Crucial, Sexual Suicide, Good Love, Acknowledge Me, Interactive, Days Of Wild (live) and Get Loose


- album is brick walled beyond anything in Prince's discography and many of the tracks have been edited down



02) Exodus


+ This entire LP (almost) is funky as hell. Even the outtakes from this era are incredible.


- Not keen on the track New Power Soul, there are far too many interludes and there is an audio error during one of the skits.



03) The Gold Experience


+ I really like the singles. Probably his strongest 90s songs. (Beautiful, I Hate U, Gold)


- I much prefer many of the outtakes to the songs that actually ended up on here. I'd have preferred songs like Acknowledge Me, Interactive and Days Of Wild over P Control, We March, Now and Shy.



04) prince


+ Although there aren't any particular songs on here that stand out from the crowd, I do enjoy it as a whole. I think it's a great listen from start to finish.


- Could have done with some really good commercial tracks like Gett Off



05) Come


+ I think I'd rank every song on here as above average, although my favorite has to be Pheromone. A dark record with some really interesting pieces (ie Papa and Solo)


- The album is a bit disjointed with no consistent theme. Also, screw the interludes. That poem nonsense really kills the pace of the record.



06) Diamonds And Pearls


+ Two great singles in Gett Off & Diamonds And Pearls


- Most of this album is pretty meh. This would have ranked much lower had it not been for Gett off.



07) Emancipation


+ I really like bits and pieces on this album. I love the upbeat stuff like Jam Of The Yearm, Email, Joint 2 Joint and Sleep Around


- Can't enjoy it as an album on account of it being way too long. Not so keen on the ballads here.



08) Graffiti Bridge


+ We can Funk is a personal fave. Not the best version but the best we had at the time. Also it was great to see Joy and Can't Stop get released.


- Has a few great songs, but not enough to lift the album as a whole. Think I would have preferred the associated artists tracks on separate albums. I'm not so keen on Release It, Round and Round & Shake. I think they drag the experience down a bit.



09) Newpower Soul


+ Nice. I love the overall vibe of this album. Sounds fresh. Funky in places. A bit of a gem.


- Enjoyable but not the most memorable album. A bunch of nice tracks, but no really great ones.



10) Chaos And Disorder


+ Like prince, I do enjoy Chaos as an album although it's difficult to pick out particular songs that I think are great, I do think 'Dig U Better Dead' is underrated.


- It's good for what it is, but there are no major stand out tracks.



11) Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic


+ Greatest Romance is nice. Baby Knows and Pretty Man are fun.


- Pretty bland overall. Everyday Is A Winding Road was a low point.



12) The Truth


+ Strong start. I like the opening couple of tracks.


- Quickly goes downhill after that. Very boring.



13) Gold Nigga


+ I quite like Call The Law, and Black MFs is amusing


- Very little interest overall



14) The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale


+ ... No idea


- This record is a waste of time





Interesting read, but the songs u like/dislike are almost opposite of mine. 😂
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/23/19 12:08pm

jdcxc

fen said:



fabriziovenerandi said:




fen said:




I know that these things are subjective, but Newpower Soul is better than Graffiti Bridge? eek I agree that the whole “label sampler” thing didn’t really work, but there’s at least 2 or 3 genuinely great Prince tracks on GB - surprised to see it so low.



.



For me Newpowersoul works better "as album" than Graffiti Bridge. In the GB there are some gems inside, but there are also weaker songs that keep me away from it. All in all the quality of Newpowersoul is perhaps lower, but more homogeneous and contains some experiments that have aged better than those of GB.
I think there is also a point of sensitivity and personal history: GB was for me the first big disappointment after the Parade-Lovesexy era I had loved, so it's not an album that I love to listen to again today.





Yeah, I can see that - NewPowerSoul is definitely more consistent in terms of sound, theme etc. I never hated it, but Come On is the only track that stood out for me.



Mad Sex is brilliant and underrated.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/23/19 12:41pm

Poplife88

avatar

jdcxc said:

VaultCurator said:

01) Crystal Ball


+ includes sensational Sign & Gold era tracks such as Crucial, Sexual Suicide, Good Love, Acknowledge Me, Interactive, Days Of Wild (live) and Get Loose


- album is brick walled beyond anything in Prince's discography and many of the tracks have been edited down



02) Exodus


+ This entire LP (almost) is funky as hell. Even the outtakes from this era are incredible.


- Not keen on the track New Power Soul, there are far too many interludes and there is an audio error during one of the skits.



03) The Gold Experience


+ I really like the singles. Probably his strongest 90s songs. (Beautiful, I Hate U, Gold)


- I much prefer many of the outtakes to the songs that actually ended up on here. I'd have preferred songs like Acknowledge Me, Interactive and Days Of Wild over P Control, We March, Now and Shy.



04) prince


+ Although there aren't any particular songs on here that stand out from the crowd, I do enjoy it as a whole. I think it's a great listen from start to finish.


- Could have done with some really good commercial tracks like Gett Off



05) Come


+ I think I'd rank every song on here as above average, although my favorite has to be Pheromone. A dark record with some really interesting pieces (ie Papa and Solo)


- The album is a bit disjointed with no consistent theme. Also, screw the interludes. That poem nonsense really kills the pace of the record.



06) Diamonds And Pearls


+ Two great singles in Gett Off & Diamonds And Pearls


- Most of this album is pretty meh. This would have ranked much lower had it not been for Gett off.



07) Emancipation


+ I really like bits and pieces on this album. I love the upbeat stuff like Jam Of The Yearm, Email, Joint 2 Joint and Sleep Around


- Can't enjoy it as an album on account of it being way too long. Not so keen on the ballads here.



08) Graffiti Bridge


+ We can Funk is a personal fave. Not the best version but the best we had at the time. Also it was great to see Joy and Can't Stop get released.


- Has a few great songs, but not enough to lift the album as a whole. Think I would have preferred the associated artists tracks on separate albums. I'm not so keen on Release It, Round and Round & Shake. I think they drag the experience down a bit.



09) Newpower Soul


+ Nice. I love the overall vibe of this album. Sounds fresh. Funky in places. A bit of a gem.


- Enjoyable but not the most memorable album. A bunch of nice tracks, but no really great ones.



10) Chaos And Disorder


+ Like prince, I do enjoy Chaos as an album although it's difficult to pick out particular songs that I think are great, I do think 'Dig U Better Dead' is underrated.


- It's good for what it is, but there are no major stand out tracks.



11) Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic


+ Greatest Romance is nice. Baby Knows and Pretty Man are fun.


- Pretty bland overall. Everyday Is A Winding Road was a low point.



12) The Truth


+ Strong start. I like the opening couple of tracks.


- Quickly goes downhill after that. Very boring.



13) Gold Nigga


+ I quite like Call The Law, and Black MFs is amusing


- Very little interest overall



14) The Vault... Old Friends 4 Sale


+ ... No idea


- This record is a waste of time





Interesting read, but the songs u like/dislike are almost opposite of mine. 😂


When The Lights Go Down from The Vault is one of my all time favorite Prince songs...for that alone The Vault is not a waste of time imo 😉
We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Rank the 1990's albums