independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Slow Love cowriter recalls Prince’s creationist tantrum in natural history museum
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 11/12/20 3:16am

Dsoul

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

Dsoul said:



onlyforaminute said:


So P didn't believe in meteors? He points to the meteor and said to her, next you're going to tell me this came from the sky? Mmmmm...okay. I'm off to listen to Space.


Like I said, these views were again echoed in Colonized Mind:



"Upload, the evolution principle
You see a rock on the shore and say
"It's always been there"
Download, no responsibility
Do what you want, nobody cares"


Whether a rock hss always been there is not an answer if one believes the meteor came from the sky. In fact I've never understood the sentence, was he referring to the steady state theory which may have been taught in his early years in school. I don't know. [The Steady State theory was very popular in the 1950s. However, evidence against the theory began to emerge during the early 1960s. ] or I could be over thinking it because he was under the tutelage of the JWs and I don't have a full picture of what they believe as far as cosmology and biology goes.


Remember the natural history museum incident will have been pre-JW. In both cases he is essentially saying “god did it”. A god created the rock, put the asteroid on the planet in a short term plan. He erroneously thinks that evolution theory deals in the infinite time span of “always” and therefore cares for nothing without the creator to answer to.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 11/12/20 5:33am

gsmith5678

Purpleone4Eva said:

I have to wonder if he was joking about the "next you'll be telling me that came out of the sky!" comment. Seems like a joke to me, though who knows.

-

I wondered that too. It's very UTCM "PITS!"-ish.

[Edited 11/12/20 5:35am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 11/12/20 8:45am

Margot

ufoclub said:

Margot said:

Prince and Chemtrails...I forgot about that. He seemed pretty convinced, no irony.

The thing is, Prince's openness to emotional split instinctive reasoning is what also led to his great art. If he had been a cold intellect, I dunno what kind of music we would have gotten. Maybe less with more quality? Maybe more boring stuff. Maybe nothing interesting.

He was a master of patterns, creating and weaving patterns and then discarding them. Recognizing and appropriating them, and also inventing them. and I think it was driven by impulsiveness and willingness to dive off a cliff with no caution. That type of spirit can soar, but at the expense of cold logic or wise deliberation.

I take his dabbling in conspiracies and religion as part of the mix that is/was Prince.

In his memoir, as a child,

he mentioned staring @ something (I forget what it was) so long that

the inherent pattern would emerge. I think he thought everyone did that.

Willingness to 'dive off cliffs', jump off risers, speed, I remember the story Alan B. (early photog) told of Prince's speeding on the shoulder of the freeway and scaring people. His driver's license was taken away.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 11/12/20 8:53am

3rdeyedude

avatar

Prince was a fucked up dude and add religion as one of the causes. I work with kids and some of the unhappiest children I meet are Seventh Day Adventis or Jehovah's Witnesses. It's like someone took the joy of being a child right out of them at an early age. In the end it turned him into an addict and that's just sad.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 11/12/20 9:24am

Margot

3rdeyedude said:

Prince was a fucked up dude and add religion as one of the causes. I work with kids and some of the unhappiest children I meet are Seventh Day Adventis or Jehovah's Witnesses. It's like someone took the joy of being a child right out of them at an early age. In the end it turned him into an addict and that's just sad.

I think there were many 'complexities' in Prince's life that were painful other than religion.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 11/12/20 9:47am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

3rdeyedude said:

Prince was a fucked up dude and add religion as one of the causes. I work with kids and some of the unhappiest children I meet are Seventh Day Adventis or Jehovah's Witnesses. It's like someone took the joy of being a child right out of them at an early age. In the end it turned him into an addict and that's just sad.

It wasn't religion, it was his need for control and privacy.
I remember reading about him showing up to the Purple Rain premiere and being shocked by the crowds. I suspect 'height' has an overwhelming effect. Artists, even though they want to share their art, also can be very private about it, and people zoom in on Prince the man of mystery.

.

Over time this kind of stuff lead to Prince being controlling about what was happening.

.

Lisa Coleman was interviewed, and touched on the subject of how that overtime, helped in him dying the way he did.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
https://prince.org/msg/7/464433 9.24.2020
if you ever try the lotus position
Try it while you're being strangled
Do U understand what I'm saying?
#IDEFINEME
It’s unloving and selfish to be easily offended
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 11/12/20 9:48am

onlyforaminute

...
[Edited 11/12/20 9:48am]
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 11/12/20 9:52am

rednblue

Margot said:

ufoclub said:

The thing is, Prince's openness to emotional split instinctive reasoning is what also led to his great art. If he had been a cold intellect, I dunno what kind of music we would have gotten. Maybe less with more quality? Maybe more boring stuff. Maybe nothing interesting.

He was a master of patterns, creating and weaving patterns and then discarding them. Recognizing and appropriating them, and also inventing them. and I think it was driven by impulsiveness and willingness to dive off a cliff with no caution. That type of spirit can soar, but at the expense of cold logic or wise deliberation.

I take his dabbling in conspiracies and religion as part of the mix that is/was Prince.

In his memoir, as a child,

he mentioned staring @ something (I forget what it was) so long that

the inherent pattern would emerge. I think he thought everyone did that.

Willingness to 'dive off cliffs', jump off risers, speed, I remember the story Alan B. (early photog) told of Prince's speeding on the shoulder of the freeway and scaring people. His driver's license was taken away.


I will say that I think there are people who can take the wisdom that their emotions provide and masterfully combine that wisdom with other cognitive stuff. That is, I think there are people who are good at integrating it all. I'm reacting here to the idea (not to say you are suggesting this, ufo) that people tend to either work with emotion or minimize it. A good integration is a goal...for me, at least.

As far as religion goes, I really appreciate that people have pointed out that being religious doesn't make a person more or less moral. I admit that as an agnostic, I'm biased. But just take my atheist husband, for example. He is a generous, compassionate person who gives a lot of thought to how the choices he makes will affect other beings and the earth. It's obvious to me, at least, that you don't need god(s) to motivate this. And to reference fire-and-brimstone approaches, you don't need a carrot. You don't need fear of a hell stick, either.


Sorry if this quote from Prince's memoir is over-the-top, but I thought the references and connections you guys made were so cool.

"You might want to write this in my voice. I used to stare and stare at everything in the house until I was fried. Maybe a lot of kids do it. I'd see faces in everything. Faces talking to faces. I'd stare at the marble until I saw faces in it. I thought, This house is coded for me. I'd lose myself in every object. Good thing there was music. You can compare it to the Bible, where everything seems coded. Place names, especially. There's something there, something sacred being guarded. Levels of meaning. And once you get down deep, you can't read them any other way."

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 11/12/20 9:54am

onlyforaminute

Dsoul said:

onlyforaminute said:


Whether a rock hss always been there is not an answer if one believes the meteor came from the sky. In fact I've never understood the sentence, was he referring to the steady state theory which may have been taught in his early years in school. I don't know. [The Steady State theory was very popular in the 1950s. However, evidence against the theory began to emerge during the early 1960s. ] or I could be over thinking it because he was under the tutelage of the JWs and I don't have a full picture of what they believe as far as cosmology and biology goes.


Remember the natural history museum incident will have been pre-JW. In both cases he is essentially saying “god did it”. A god created the rock, put the asteroid on the planet in a short term plan. He erroneously thinks that evolution theory deals in the infinite time span of “always” and therefore cares for nothing without the creator to answer to.


This woman is imprinting strict creationist ideas on P with nothing that backs that up. Believing in God even the christian one doesn't equal creationist views It never has. I'm beginning to suspect the rock line is at creationist which JWs do not align themselves with at all, while the evolution line was at atheist removing the 1st cause as God which we already knew P believed in, so, no news there.



....
[Edited 11/12/20 9:55am]
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 11/12/20 10:18am

onlyforaminute

Nvm
[Edited 11/12/20 10:18am]
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 11/12/20 1:26pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 11/12/20 2:11pm

Margot

rednblue said:

Margot said:

In his memoir, as a child,

he mentioned staring @ something (I forget what it was) so long that

the inherent pattern would emerge. I think he thought everyone did that.

Willingness to 'dive off cliffs', jump off risers, speed, I remember the story Alan B. (early photog) told of Prince's speeding on the shoulder of the freeway and scaring people. His driver's license was taken away.


I will say that I think there are people who can take the wisdom that their emotions provide and masterfully combine that wisdom with other cognitive stuff. That is, I think there are people who are good at integrating it all. I'm reacting here to the idea (not to say you are suggesting this, ufo) that people tend to either work with emotion or minimize it. A good integration is a goal...for me, at least.

As far as religion goes, I really appreciate that people have pointed out that being religious doesn't make a person more or less moral. I admit that as an agnostic, I'm biased. But just take my atheist husband, for example. He is a generous, compassionate person who gives a lot of thought to how the choices he makes will affect other beings and the earth. It's obvious to me, at least, that you don't need god(s) to motivate this. And to reference fire-and-brimstone approaches, you don't need a carrot. You don't need fear of a hell stick, either.


Sorry if this quote from Prince's memoir is over-the-top, but I thought the references and connections you guys made were so cool.

"You might want to write this in my voice. I used to stare and stare at everything in the house until I was fried. Maybe a lot of kids do it. I'd see faces in everything. Faces talking to faces. I'd stare at the marble until I saw faces in it. I thought, This house is coded for me. I'd lose myself in every object. Good thing there was music. You can compare it to the Bible, where everything seems coded. Place names, especially. There's something there, something sacred being guarded. Levels of meaning. And once you get down deep, you can't read them any other way."

Thanks for bringing up the. actual quote.

I do think Prince was religious but not necessarily moral. I think he struggled with that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 11/15/20 1:49am

haveaglamslam

Vannormal said:

LoveGalore said:

Creepy as shit. I'm so glad God isn't real because the books written about him are a freakshow.

-

Exactly.

How sane can it be to live up to tales written a couple of thousand years ago, and not being able to even question them.

When I was in my early thirties, I read the books out of curiosity, and to be able to try and have an informed say when the topic presented itself.

It only made me even more incredulous.

Creepy (science) fiction though. wink

Best to forget the inhuman and unnatural restrictions that are always enforced,

as well as the hatred and rediculed division of 'believers/unbelievers'.

How petty and at the same time silly that is.

It's only peace and love that matters.

-

Being raised religious, my parents shunned any questioning of the Bible or God or anything. I've only now come to see how humans lie and decieve and that none of these books are real. Yes they hold some lessons on how to live life, but it's wrong to worship the deity they are perscribed to. It's not healthy to deny science and live in a bubble, you fester stockholm syndrome. Whenever anyone mentions the possibility of the Bible being false and God not being real and they shut down. They just start crying and can't fathom it and just lose their shit.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 11/16/20 2:47am

Vannormal

avatar

Margot said:

3rdeyedude said:

Prince was a fucked up dude and add religion as one of the causes. I work with kids and some of the unhappiest children I meet are Seventh Day Adventis or Jehovah's Witnesses. It's like someone took the joy of being a child right out of them at an early age. In the end it turned him into an addict and that's just sad.

I think there were many 'complexities' in Prince's life that were painful other than religion.

-

Ab-so-lu-te-ly !

I believe Prince made his own choice of believing in a god or whatever,just to feel protected without having to communicate in a normal way. He did that through his music of course.

Difficulty communicating, mistrust and probably also some complexes probably had an influence on his life.

Inother words, he was human like everyone else, and had to deal with the most normal things in his life.

Whether he succeeded in this is something else. wink

Maybe his father had a hand in his strong believes, that I don't know for sure.

-

[Edited 11/16/20 3:44am]

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 11/16/20 2:48am

Vannormal

avatar

Margot said:

ufoclub said:

The thing is, Prince's openness to emotional split instinctive reasoning is what also led to his great art. If he had been a cold intellect, I dunno what kind of music we would have gotten. Maybe less with more quality? Maybe more boring stuff. Maybe nothing interesting.

He was a master of patterns, creating and weaving patterns and then discarding them. Recognizing and appropriating them, and also inventing them. and I think it was driven by impulsiveness and willingness to dive off a cliff with no caution. That type of spirit can soar, but at the expense of cold logic or wise deliberation.

I take his dabbling in conspiracies and religion as part of the mix that is/was Prince.

In his memoir, as a child,

he mentioned staring @ something (I forget what it was) so long that

the inherent pattern would emerge. I think he thought everyone did that.

Willingness to 'dive off cliffs', jump off risers, speed, I remember the story Alan B. (early photog) told of Prince's speeding on the shoulder of the freeway and scaring people. His driver's license was taken away.

-

Never heard that.

Where can I find this story?

Thank you. smile

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 11/16/20 8:45am

Margot

Vannormal said:

Margot said:

In his memoir, as a child,

he mentioned staring @ something (I forget what it was) so long that

the inherent pattern would emerge. I think he thought everyone did that.

Willingness to 'dive off cliffs', jump off risers, speed, I remember the story Alan B. (early photog) told of Prince's speeding on the shoulder of the freeway and scaring people. His driver's license was taken away.

-

Never heard that.

Where can I find this story?

Thank you. smile

-

I forget exactly, but it may have been in one of his interviews or book.

When Alan and Prince started working together, Prince would call him to be picked up.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 11/16/20 3:33pm

onlyforaminute

Another article talking about Ps faith.

https://www.google.com/am...utType=amp

Yet his faith was complex. Prince was raised a Seventh-day Adventist and later became a Jehovah’s Witness — two faith communities who have in different ways been rejected at times as Christian and seen by mainstream Protestantism as cults. However his beliefs and spirituality were his own, rooted in what his biographer Toure called “my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ” as well as a deep fascination with the afterlife and Judeo-Christian scripture, which he was constantly quoting.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 11/16/20 4:25pm

onlyforaminute

The Seventh-day Adventist diet is a plant-based diet that's rich in whole foods and excludes most animal products, alcohol, and caffeinated beverages. However, some followers choose to incorporate some low-fat dairy products, eggs, and low amounts of certain “clean” meats or fish.
Time keeps on slipping into the future...


This moment is all there is...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 11/16/20 7:12pm

controversy99

avatar

That was interesting. I found the interview more informative about her views and about that particular museum incident than it was about Prince's religious views in general. We already know P. was religious, but she seems to have made assumptions about Prince and religion based on her limited interactions with him that don't align with what others with longer relationships with him has said. But it did seem to negatively impact the relationship between Carole and him.
.
I would like to hear more about how they wrote Slow Love together. Maybe that will be in the article she mentioned.

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 11/16/20 7:37pm

Margot

controversy99 said:

That was interesting. I found the interview more informative about her views and about that particular museum incident than it was about Prince's religious views in general. We already know P. was religious, but she seems to have made assumptions about Prince and religion based on her limited interactions with him that don't align with what others with longer relationships with him has said. But it did seem to negatively impact the relationship between Carole and him.
.
I would like to hear more about how they wrote Slow Love together. Maybe that will be in the article she mentioned.

Weren't they lovers as well?

She strikes me as someone who has a decent grasp of their conversation.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 11/16/20 7:57pm

controversy99

avatar

Margot said:

controversy99 said:

That was interesting. I found the interview more informative about her views and about that particular museum incident than it was about Prince's religious views in general. We already know P. was religious, but she seems to have made assumptions about Prince and religion based on her limited interactions with him that don't align with what others with longer relationships with him has said. But it did seem to negatively impact the relationship between Carole and him.
.
I would like to hear more about how they wrote Slow Love together. Maybe that will be in the article she mentioned.

Weren't they lovers as well?

She strikes me as someone who has a decent grasp of their conversation.

She says they weren't lovers.

I believe she has a good grasp of their conversation and I assume of her overall relationshp with Prince. But I think she's overreaching when she makes more sweeping claims about P.

"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 11/19/20 1:53pm

Dsoul

avatar

controversy99 said:


.
I would like to hear more about how they wrote Slow Love together. Maybe that will be in the article she mentioned.



Think she says in this interview that Prince offered her $50k to buy the song but instead she took a co-write credit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 11/19/20 3:05pm

SexyMuthaF

Good choice, I would have done the same.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Slow Love cowriter recalls Prince’s creationist tantrum in natural history museum