independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 21st Nov 2017 11:26am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Fly Away-Rebbie Jackson
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 08/21/17 11:02pm

alphastreet

Fly Away-Rebbie Jackson

Why the hell don't mj fans discuss this fabulous duet ever? It beats the original on Bad by a long shot, and Rebbie sounds fabulous on it, giving even MJ a run for his money singing lead (they sound perfect singing together). I think Janet would have taken it if it wasn't given to Rebbie and I can't believe mj wrote it; who else produced it? Or was it self-written?

I knew about her version since the release of Yours Faithfully but never heard it till now cause it was never discussed. I saw a performance of it on Soul Train and people were really getting into it. It was the best momentum prior to Invincible originally to come out in that time and didn't happen. I also can't help but wonder if the sound on this version paved the way for break of dawn, butterflies and heaven can wait.

Disclaimer: Not a Latoya is the next coming thread cool

[Edited 8/21/17 23:07pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 08/22/17 9:20am

TrivialPursuit

Regarding the other questions, it's not hard to find those answers. And why can't you believe MJ wrote it? It's on his expanded BAD release. You don't think he's putting Rebbie songs on his own albums, do you?




His version is 100x better than the duet.


"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 08/22/17 10:02am

alphastreet

TrivialPursuit said:

Regarding the other questions, it's not hard to find those answers. And why can't you believe MJ wrote it? It's on his expanded BAD release. You don't think he's putting Rebbie songs on his own albums, do you?




His version is 100x better than the duet.


His version is nice, but the beat is too similar to I Just Can't Stop Loving You, so it wouldn't surprise me if one of the tracks came from the other. That's probably why it didn't make Bad, but I love the style it changed to in the 90's.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 08/22/17 10:15am

TrivialPursuit

alphastreet said:

His version is nice, but the beat is too similar to I Just Can't Stop Loving You, so it wouldn't surprise me if one of the tracks came from the other. That's probably why it didn't make Bad, but I love the style it changed to in the 90's.


Rebbie's sounds half-time and stunted. It never gets into the groove. MJ's is certainly a straight-ahead 4/4 beat. But the production is far superior. For me, it's a bit too fluffy to be on Bad. Bad isn't a harder album per se, but it definitely has one foot on a more aggressive production. "Fly Away", as great as it is, it's a tad light for it.

I have the same motives for "Just Good Friends", which I think is inferior to "Streetwalker", and would have fit better on the album. "Fly Away" could have easily been a b-side for "Man In The Mirror".

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 08/22/17 10:25am

alphastreet

TrivialPursuit said:

alphastreet said:

His version is nice, but the beat is too similar to I Just Can't Stop Loving You, so it wouldn't surprise me if one of the tracks came from the other. That's probably why it didn't make Bad, but I love the style it changed to in the 90's.


Rebbie's sounds half-time and stunted. It never gets into the groove. MJ's is certainly a straight-ahead 4/4 beat. But the production is far superior. For me, it's a bit too fluffy to be on Bad. Bad isn't a harder album per se, but it definitely has one foot on a more aggressive production. "Fly Away", as great as it is, it's a tad light for it.

I have the same motives for "Just Good Friends", which I think is inferior to "Streetwalker", and would have fit better on the album. "Fly Away" could have easily been a b-side for "Man In The Mirror".

Totally agree fly away would have been a great complement to Man In The Mirror had it been included, but I also find mj was never about original b-sides the way janet was until later on.

Rebbie sounds more jazzy and her vibrato on the song seemed to work really well. I feel like she was purposely singing it disjointed and sped up from the original we're accustomed to, but it worked well with the new rhythm.

Was also saying from day one Streetwalker could have easily replaced Just Good Friends, but the choice was between Streetwalker and Another Part of Me on the album, which I dont think is a good comparison....I think it may have not been included because of the very slight similarity to the way you make me feel performance intro in the beginning...this last part wasn't said anywhere but that's the only way I could justify why it didn't make the album.

[Edited 8/22/17 10:27am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 08/22/17 12:46pm

paisleypark4

avatar

i like MJ's version much better. Her voice is fine and everything on it but there is something much ehtereal and airy about Michael's demo. Perhaps it could be those fingersnaps in the chorus.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 08/22/17 1:24pm

alphastreet

His vibrato is pretty emotional and vulnerable sounding. Of the two, I would honestly say mj conveyed the emotions beautifully, and rebbie the technique. I think I'm just in awe over the fact she's not a megastar like the big two and is capable of being just as good as them while holding her own tactfully.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 08/22/17 1:47pm

paisleypark4

avatar

alphastreet said:

His vibrato is pretty emotional and vulnerable sounding. Of the two, I would honestly say mj conveyed the emotions beautifully, and rebbie the technique. I think I'm just in awe over the fact she's not a megastar like the big two and is capable of being just as good as them while holding her own tactfully.

Janet already captured the audience. Her albums were not as vivacious. Her dancing was not up to par. There was no competition to Janet.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 08/23/17 3:44pm

Marrk

avatar

I prefer 'Night Time Lover' by La Toya (with Michael). Always liked it. Not joking either.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 08/23/17 4:30pm

bboy87

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

alphastreet said:

His vibrato is pretty emotional and vulnerable sounding. Of the two, I would honestly say mj conveyed the emotions beautifully, and rebbie the technique. I think I'm just in awe over the fact she's not a megastar like the big two and is capable of being just as good as them while holding her own tactfully.

Janet already captured the audience. Her albums were not as vivacious. Her dancing was not up to par. There was no competition to Janet.

Yep, and Rebbie didn't seem 100 % interested in being a superstar. She had some moderate success with her first two albums but she had an established life away from the music business.

By the time her version of Fly Away came out, she had been married for almost 30 years, had 3 kids and was living a chill life

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 08/23/17 7:20pm

bluegangsta

avatar

alphastreet said:

Why the hell don't mj fans discuss this fabulous duet ever? It beats the original on Bad by a long shot, and Rebbie sounds fabulous on it, giving even MJ a run for his money singing lead (they sound perfect singing together). I think Janet would have taken it if it wasn't given to Rebbie and I can't believe mj wrote it; who else produced it? Or was it self-written?

It has John Barnes' sound all over it. I'll ask him when/ if I remember.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 08/26/17 6:37pm

alphastreet

bboy87 said:

paisleypark4 said:

Janet already captured the audience. Her albums were not as vivacious. Her dancing was not up to par. There was no competition to Janet.

Yep, and Rebbie didn't seem 100 % interested in being a superstar. She had some moderate success with her first two albums but she had an established life away from the music business.

By the time her version of Fly Away came out, she had been married for almost 30 years, had 3 kids and was living a chill life

Yes I agree with that about her lifestyle, that's partially why I'm intrigued she has nothing to prove and can just get up one day and be as smooth as her baby siblings smile That to me is impressive in itself!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 08/26/17 6:37pm

alphastreet

bluegangsta said:

alphastreet said:

Why the hell don't mj fans discuss this fabulous duet ever? It beats the original on Bad by a long shot, and Rebbie sounds fabulous on it, giving even MJ a run for his money singing lead (they sound perfect singing together). I think Janet would have taken it if it wasn't given to Rebbie and I can't believe mj wrote it; who else produced it? Or was it self-written?

It has John Barnes' sound all over it. I'll ask him when/ if I remember.

You know him?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 08/27/17 8:55pm

bluegangsta

avatar

alphastreet said:

bluegangsta said:

It has John Barnes' sound all over it. I'll ask him when/ if I remember.

You know him?

We've communicated quite a few times, yes.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/28/17 8:44am

daingermouz202
0

Not familiar with either song. But Ive always thought out of the Jackson girls Rebbie Jackson had best singing voice.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Fly Away-Rebbie Jackson